The Dragonfly Accepts Changes - can I?




 

The Dragonfly Accepts Changes - can I?

 

Strange brown husks hang from the stems of water reeds, empty, devoid of the years of life spent in the depths of the pond. Feather-light, three pairs of legs clinging still, the husk rustles as I remove it to look at it in detail. A perfect shell of a segmented body broken open below the head which has transparent bulges where large eyes once hunted the dark water of our pond. Proof of the unbelievable magic of transformation from water beast to true master of the air. I have never seen one emerge from the husk but this year I saw one waiting for wings to fully expand, vulnerable, clinging to the reed it had climbed. It wasn’t a quick process, and I grew restless and wandered away. It had gone the next time I looked.

 


We watch an iridescent dragonfly hunt above the pond, darting in all directions, even backwards. Using its four wings independent of each other, hovering, snatching prey we can’t see and devouring the tiny morsels on the move. Its speed is impressive, sometimes as much as 34kmh, too quick for me to take a photo, so we sit and enjoy the aerodynamic display. When it turns in flight it can pull 9G’s, something few fighter jet pilots can cope with for more than a second, and it is constantly pulling 4g’s when zooming straight. It repeats a flight pattern as it zigzags across the pond, around the edges and in front of where we are sitting. I marvel at the huge green head, which is mostly eye, giving it almost 360 degree vision and mega close up focus. It sees colour, which is rare for an insect, but not the red spectrum, instead it sees ultraviolet light. I wonder what we look like? Just another large blur in the landscape to be avoided but not feared, perhaps. It comes close.

 

We think it’s a male as females have a touch of brown in their eyes, but we are not sure until another dragonfly approaches and a fight for territory begins. Their speed increases and we follow the battle by sound as much as sight. Their wings clash as if made from steel, they pull apart, both intact before attacking again, right by my face. I can feel the wind from their passing. I make a safety cage over my eyes with my fingers so I can watch, they buzz over my head, legs catching a few hairs but not delaying them. They can rip and bite off limbs and wings, but we don’t see much damage and the interloper flies away, chased by the owner of our wildlife pond. We don’t know if it is the same intruder, but we witness five battles in twenty minutes. How wonderful our pond is deemed worthy of protecting.

 

About 250 million years ago, when the air was oxygen rich, they grew to the size of a crow. That doesn’t sound very large, but I’m not sure I’d want to encounter one. Imagine the damage they could do. Imagine if we could genetically engineer them to the size of a horse, real dragons would fly our skies, but could we tame them? Could we prolong their flying life beyond the maximum 8 weeks they have now?

 

Last year we watched females laying eggs beneath the surface of the water, dipping the end of their incredible blue abdomen with precision, dropping one egg at a time to hang suspended for up to five weeks before hatching. I wonder how many I have disturbed and removed while pulling unwanted green and fallen leaves from the pond. We’ve seen another female climb down a reed stalk, hand over hand until low enough to deposit their future offspring that they will never see. The larval stage under water can take years to mature.

 

We are delighted and proud that out little pond is clean enough to sustain this life cycle, although we believe the larvae ate the few tadpoles we had in the spring. A balance will occur in the end. We have one frog, or it may be a toad, who sits in the cool water on hot days, eyes watching for a morsel or two, and I’ve seen a young grass snake slip between the fronds of pond weed and vanish, lifting its head to breath about 10 minutes later and then slide backwards into the cool. So smooth and silent the pond skater only a centimeter away was undisturbed.

 


I watch the pond more often since seeing the frog and snake, hoping to glimpse them again. Watching the pond settles my restless body, reminds me to stop and to be, to allow thoughts and feelings to flow over and around as I focus on nature. The pond changes, matures, but is fundamentally the same. The dragonfly changes, matures but is still a dragonfly. I have changed, matured, but I am still me. It is taking a while for me to understand and accept this new version, but through observing nature I am reminded that, like the dragonfly who emerges from the husk and trusts in the process, waiting for all to be comfortable and strong before flying, I just need time and to trust myself. 



If you have enjoyed this BLOG, or found it helpful, please consider buying me a coffee

______________________________________

Thank you for reading my Blog, you can find more about me here...

Website

YouTube

Facebook Author Page

Twitter

Instagram







Comments