HOW DO THE FLOWERS KNOW?




HOW DO THE FLOWERS KNOW

A few years ago, someone gave me a pack of cards. Flower Spirit cards by Melanie Eclare. They came with a book, but I didn’t read it, I just looked at the beautiful photos of flowers and then put them on a shelf.

I love flowers, their simplistic beauty hiding complex reasons for every part of them. Their colours, their leaves, how they are tight buds one day and bright open flowers the next. They delight me.

I take lots of flower photos, often the same ones every year, but I don’t care, capturing them in that split second of time is like I can keep their preciousness within my inner sight for a while until another supersedes it.

More and more I am recognising what an important role flowers are in my life. I have learnt which ones can be digested by me, in salads, cooked, or in tisanes (herbal tea) fresh or dried. Dried, they delight me through the winter with their individual scent when I open a jar in my tisane cupboard. It is their scent that tells me which I want in my tea that day. I have become more intuitive as I’ve gathered and dried more and more. And I miss them when I am away from home.

I have been exploring my art style, what I want to express, and how, and I listened to a podcast about personal aesthetic and how important it is to know what you see as beautiful, for that is what will come through as your style, your focus. It’s what will enable people to recognise your artwork. I like this idea and I am focusing on what I find truly beautiful in this world. And guess what? It’s been staring me in the face for years. Flowers. I find flowers very beautiful and using them in my artwork isn’t ‘tame, lame, unimaginative, or boring.’ It’s me expressing my delight and joy. Of course, this expression can be subtle, suggestive, interpretive, abstract, or realistic. I’m excited to journey on and see what my art will mature into.

 The Flower cards, where do they fit into all of this?

When I moved into my writing hut, I looked through the house for things to inspire my writing in the little room at the back of my garden and the cards, which I’d never really looked at were chosen. They sat in their box looking pretty until covid came along. I organised a WhatsApp group in the October of 2020 to link my two sisters, my son who lives in the UK and my mum. To get the sharing and conversations flowing I decided to use these cards.  These flower spirit cards have words on the back, words such as,

 

‘I look for the best in everyone and everything.’

 

This is the spirit part, the mindfulness, the focus. There is a part of me that sneers at these types of cards and sayings and yet my soul loves them. Am I ashamed to let my true thoughts be seen? It’s about time I showed my true colours. I love these positive sayings, I love the power of the word, I love the slightly mystical unknown aspect of our world, brains, and souls.

In 2020 I’d look through the photos and stop when one flower grabbed my attention, then I’d read the back. Most of the time the words resonated within me, sometimes they were words for someone else in my family. I’d share the flower photo and the words for the day. I began to be more mindful and before choosing I’d think about a specific person, a feeling, or a question before choosing a card. I don’t know how powerful our subconscious brain is but if it helped me choose something that made me or someone I loved, feel better then I don’t care about the ‘hows and whys.’

It was fun, but gradually I stopped doing this as our lives slowly gained more ‘normality’, whatever that is. Actually, my life gained more grief momentum and time in my writing hut became spasmodic as we were often away from home.

For a few months, I’ve been walking a dark, guilt, self-hatred, numbing, overwhelming, forested grief road, and now I’m coming onto the leafy lanes of hope, joy, and acceptance I find myself reaching for the cards again.

Now you may not believe in things like these cards, or maybe those words are for me…but today I picked three cards without looking, just a random three.

One was the poppy with the words above.

One was the sea holly with words of accepting myself.

One was the tulip with words about release and growth.

For some reason today I decided to read the pages in the book that correspond to these photos and oh wow…

These three cards pulled at my soul, resonated deep within, felt like wisdom and support for what I am trying to do in my life. I was going to say they felt like friends, but I don’t really ‘do’ friends. I have acquaintances but only one best friend, and that is my husband. I’m not good at being a friend, and I accept that part of me, but that’s another story. If you do have best friends, then the feeling these cards gave to me is what I imagine friends might feel like. Understanding, no judgment, supportive, honest, and encouraging. I may be waffling here so I’ll get back to the cards.



Californian Poppy – now I can’t just copy the words form the book so I’ll just quote a little,

‘A happy reminder to bring out the best in everything you do.’

‘…feel the joy and happiness…,’

This is just what I’ve been trying to do, to get back to the child within me who delights at simple things. It’s been in my grief blog this trying to find joy again. I’ve felt a muted version of joy lately, been consciously stopping and looking for happy moments in each day and there are many, but they have been layered in a light mist.

This card is a great reminder to keep on searching, keep being aware and knowing that someday that uprising surge of joy from awe and wonder will return.

How did my subconscious know to choose this card even without me looking?


Sea Holly –

This represents us hiding certain sides of who we are and …

‘…only revealing them under pressure, when we are caught unawares by the volatility of our emotion.’

It talks about our ‘thorny side’ and how important for our health it is to acknowledge every part of our personality.

If you read my first grief blog you will know that in the depths of grief and exhaustion, I did something I was so ashamed of it broke me for a while. ‘Volatility of emotions,’ oh yes, I know that well, and the numbness that followed.

I am working on accepting me and maybe looking at this beautiful flower with all its prickles and thorniness will remind me that it's okay to have a prickly side.


Tulip

The tulip is all about growth and regeneration, new life after dormancy. And that is my life now. I am growing in my soul and honesty with myself. I am finding new ways to express me.

‘Bereavement may leave us feeling lifeless and flat.’ It does. But this flower represents moving on, not ignoring the pain we have experienced but knowing that we have come through, stronger, wiser (I hope), and knowing it’s time to see what else life has to offer.  

Making a small change is a good start. I’ve made a small change, choosing to express myself through collage. I'm making an ongoing larger change - changing how I react to other's problems.

THANK YOU CARDS

See, these cards were perfect for focusing my thoughts on going forward, showing me that  I am not the only person to have traits that are not as nice as I'd like, and to try and hide them, even from myself, that change is good and joy will come back into my life. 

Now there are sceptics who will say that any card I chose would have resonated but that’s not true. I’ve read some of the other cards and they don’t have the same strong reflective connection to what I’ve been experiencing, learning, and expressing. There are a few that I can connect with but not in the same deep way.

I haven’t read the ‘how to lay out and interpret the cards’ section, it looks a little like Tarot cards, which I do have, but only dip into occasionally to help with my writing, mostly choices my characters need to make. There is a 4 card reading and a 9 card reading, information on how to interpret the chosen cards, information on gardening with spirit - that sounds interesting - and further reading. Plenty of food for thought but for now, picking a few flower cards, reading their message, thinking about, and pining them to my metal board in my hut is enough. I think, although I am a little curious.

 If I go further and do actual ‘readings’ with them, I’ll be sure to blog about it.

 

I’d love to know if you use these cards, 

something similar, or Tarot cards,

to help you clarify and affirm your thoughts and choices.




 If you have enjoyed this BLOG, or found it helpful, please consider buying me a coffee
______________________________________

Thank you for reading my Blog, you can find more about me here...

Website

YouTube

Facebook Author Page

Twitter

Instagram

Comments